Premier league, Goodison Park kick off 5.30pm
Toffees host Saints side desperate for Premier League survival, the Blues play their last home game against Southampton, with the Saints still right in the thick of a relegation scrap that promises to go down to the last weekend of the season.
The Blues have little to play for except for pride, though murmur continue to circulate within the fanbase about a proposed walkout during tomorrow’s lap of honour to protest the continued presence of manager Sam Allardyce.
What the Managers say :
Despite the criticism of the style their side play under Allardyce, Everton generally have a good home record under him, and they will be looking to finish their Goodison campaign with a win which would be the 11th in front of their own fans.
Were they to pick up that victory, they would go a long way to securing an eighth placed finish this term, which considering they were deep in the relegation mire earlier in the season, should be considered an excellent recovery from such a poor start.
Hughes thinks the relief of last Saturday has raised morale on the south coast, but insists it will not lead to complacency with three crucial fixtures remaining.
▪ Southampton have won just once at Everton in the Premier League – back in November 1997 (D4, L13).
▪ Everton won this fixture 3-0 last season, with all three goals coming in the last 17 minutes of the match.
Top 3 FACTS:
▪ All 13 of Everton’s league wins this season have come against sides below them in the table.
▪ Everton have won their final league match at Goodison Park in nine of the last 11 seasons.
▪ Charlie Austin has scored in both of his Premier League matches against Everton for Southampton (three goals in total).
Team News :
Expected starting XI
Pickford, Baines, Jagielka, Keane, Coleman, Gueye, Schneiderlin, Rooney, Vlasic, Walcott, Tosun.
Possible late change bolasie for Walcott, Davies for Rooney
One Final word:
With little to play for, the presence of the new 2018-19 home kit will be the main attraction for Toffees fans on Saturday, while the opportunity to send the fans home on a high after a troubled season is an obvious motivation for the players.